DAFA artists and members celebrated the closing of the 2014 Member Show and Special Exhibit with a reception and awards ceremony at the guild’s April meeting. The juried show, The Fine Art of Fiber, included 34 pieces of art made by 17 artists and one group. The exhibit was on display at The Point on the C.C. Young campus from March 28 to April 28, along with a special exhibit, The Textures of Indonesia Challenge (details below).
The Best of Show award went to a large collaborative piece made by a group of eight DAFA friends whose months-long project yielded 72 fiber art “Tarot” cards inspired by a deck showing the work of Leonardo da Vinci. DAFA thanks our juror, DFW-area artist Teri Muse, and our hard-working Annual Show chair, Sherrie Tootle.
This year’s Member Show winners
• Best of Show – “The Da Vinci Enigma Tarot: A Wonder's Collaboration,” Connie Akers, Flo Barry, Michelle Knoerzer, Sara Miller, Lu Peters, Carolyn Skei, Brenda Wyatt, and Gay
• First Place – “Poule Aye,” Alisa Banks
• Second Place – “Big Figure #8,” Heather Pregger
• Third Place – “Modern Target Practice,” Robin Wiliiamson
• Juror's Choice – “Chaos III - Hoyle's Cosmology,” Connie Akers
• Honorable Mention – “Blue Chair Mantra,” Deborah Boschert
• Honorable Mention – “Flower Garden,” Janet Avery
Note: Watch the DAFA website for photos of all show entries.
Left to right: Val Guignon (center) chats with Deborah Boschert at the reception table. Annual Show chair Sherrie Tootle prepares to announce the winners. Artists and show visitors fill the gallery with excitement at the closing reception.
Left to right: Four of eight members who won a collaborative Best of Show award for "The Da Vinci Enigma," Carolyn Skei, Gay Young, Lu Peters and Michelle Knoerzer. Alisa Banks with “Poule Aye.” Heather Pregger with “Big Figure #8.”